Sunday, August 21, 2011

Weekend

I'm starting to feel more and more at home here. I love it. I need to feel this way since we are here for 13 months. I know it's not a very long time but it's a desire and a need for me, so I'm grateful that with each passing day I find myself feeling like I'm home and truly enjoying my surroundings.

This weekend we had a great time! Saturday we took of with the Gilgens, Rogers, Thompsons, Barbara, and Kevin and went to the beach in New Jersey! Let me tell you, we had a blast! Gilgens, Rogers, and Thompsons are all LDS and all the men are going to school with my husband (Salus University) so I get to play with all their lovely wives for the next year :) Barbara is from Brazil and she and kevin (not married) are attending Salus University also. Anyway, we all headed to the beach that morning. IT. WAS. AWESOME. We really had such a blast with everyone. The guys rented boogie boards and had a hayday trying to catch the waves- seriously they were like little kids out in the water. I loved it! Us ladies hung back a bit more and did some talking and playing in the sand with the kiddos and just enjoyed the beautiful weather. At one point, while I was by myself with my daughter it hit me how grateful I am for these awesome girls and how much they have helped me feel at home. Not only am I grateful to have some LDS friends out here, but they are really sweet, down to earth girls that I really want to be friends with, and although we're all in different stages of life right now we all have one thing in common and that's our husbands all attending the PA program together. So it puts us on somewhat of a mutual ground. I love these ladies already and I'm excited for our adventures ahead! We left the beach around 1:00 feeling so happy, tired, content and sunburnt (yes my husband and I were the suckers who didn't put any sunscreen on).

So naturally today, sunday, we can hardly move because our backs and shoulders hurt so much! Seriously, we look like walking zombies here, wincing at the slightest movement but bless our hearts we really are in pain! We got back from stake conference a few hours ago and it was wonderful. The members out here are so strong and you can just feel the excitement for the temple that's going to be built here. The groundbreaking for it is next month and I'm sure hoping we will be able to make it.

Tomorrow starts my husbands first official day of school. Last week was orientation week so the real deal starts tomorrow. I'm so excited for him and I know he will absolutely love it here- the school, his education, his classes- all of it! So let the journey begin....

For now, I just witnessed a HUGE rainstorm. The lightning woke my husband and I up from our naps. It was raining like crazy! If we had intertubes we probably could have gone tubing down the streets. It was one of the hardest rain storms I've seen. I loved it though, it was great for a sunday afternoon- great because I had no obligations and I could just enjoy it. My husband and I sat on the couch and watched it for a while while we finished off the Tres Leches cake I make. Now I'm writing on my blog listening to a lighter, softer rain and my husband and baby are sleeping peacefully.
Life is good!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you have found some good friends to hang out with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww yay rach! glad you are feeling a little more at home!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete