Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sheesh

What a day. It has been one of those days. I like to think of myself as a pretty optimistic person but today was just one of those days. It wasn't totally bad... most of it was probably just me.


My sweet girl is having a really, really hard time going to bed lately. I know this is normal but it's my first time round. You can only listen to a crying baby for so long. It's hard and emotionally draining.


I felt helpless. I'd love for her to fall asleep on her own. She was doing great for a while. I'm not sure what happened. I feel like kids do better on a schedule, when they know their boundaries. It's hard to let her cry herself to sleep. Sometimes I get in this "oh she's gotta keep on a schedule and fall asleep on her own and nap times are this and this and this and yadda yadda yadda" kick. Other times I get on the "I don't care what 'the book' says, she's my baby and if I want to spoil her and rock her to sleep I'm going to. She's only little once anyway and time is precious" kick.


Which one is right? I have no idea. I think the trick is balance between the two. Most days I do pretty well. Today, as I said, was just one of those days.


I know this is all really no big deal, that I'll look back and think "Oh Rach, bless your heart!" But as I've said, I'm learning. My sweet daughter and I are learning together.


I remember sitting in a church broadcast a few years back and the lady who was speaking said something to the effect of, "Sometimes it's not the kids who need the timeout- sometimes it's the mom." That was totally me today. I was the one needing the timeout. (sp?)


Someone else once wisely said, "One of the greatest blessings is a night between two days." So true. I love that.


So, I'm off to bed and tomorrow will be a new day!!! (Whew! It's amazing how therapeutic blogging is, right? I already feel better) Life is good!

2 comments:

  1. Oh darling I love you! You really are such a great mom! I saw you with your sweet baby this past weekend... You are so wonderful to her! And what a trooper she was having a very LITTLE to NONE nap. :) I love you and hope I can be even just HALF the mom you are! I really think you are wonderful. I know I am not a mom yet.. but through nannying it's so true, you can only let a crying baby cry for so long before you go crazy! You are not the only one! I love you!!!! (and blogging is VERY therapeutic!)... MISS YOU DARLING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it's so hard to know what to do! I've been on those same "kicks" at different times. I ended up finding out that I can't handle my baby crying for long. (I sit in the hall and cry too.) If she cries for more than five minutes I go in and rock her until she settles down enough to sleep. I did that when she was younger, and now that she's a little bit older she has absolutely no problem going to sleep on her own. That has worked for us. But like you said, you'll learn together what works for you!

    ReplyDelete